Jam Drops



I've been making Jam Drops for many years now, using many different recipes but have never found a recipe good enough to go back to.
Until now.
In my opinion this is the ultimate Jam Drop recipe.
It's an oldie, but a goodie.
I think of Jam Drops as being that ultimate "man biscuit". I'm yet to meet a man (where I live) that doesn't love a Jam Drop. 


This is the crinkled, butter spattered piece of paper with scribbles on that passes for the recipe.
Sometimes the best recipes are the simple ones.


To start, beat 500g of butter with 1 cup of sugar until the mixture turns pale and creamy.


Add the 395g tin of condensed milk and beat for a few minutes until the mixture comes together.


Gradually add the 5 cups of Self Raising flour with the mix-master running at a slow speed until all the flour is combined to form a biscuit dough.


Roll teaspoons of the dough into balls and place on baking trays.


Press some indentations into the centre of the balls, making sure not to press all the way through.


Fill with Jam. Don't they look yummy!


I bake my biscuits in a 160 degree fan forced oven for about 20 minutes. I bake two trays at a time and swap shelves after 10 minutes. 
Every oven is different so it's a bit of trial and error to find the perfect temperature and timing for the biscuits.


With this batch I made 98 Jam Drops and put them in a huge container and froze them. They taste just as fresh after being thawed out and make a great addition to any freezer stash for when those unexpected guests arrive smack bang on smoko time.

Enjoy! 
Xx


Comments

Popular Posts