Cowl Neck Crochet Poncho


The story of this poncho started way back at the end of November last year. It was the middle of summer here and hot is not the word to describe the heat. I was reading Lucy's Attic 24 blog which was about her starting her Cowl Neck Poncho (here). Oh my.... I really really REALLY wanted to make my own poncho but I knew that I had to wait until summer was over.


Last month I bought the pattern and the yarn and when it arrived the fun began. I took so much pleasure from making this poncho, I absolutely adore the ribbed cowl neck although it was probably the most time consuming part of the project. But once I got loose on the granny colour rounds the poncho grew so quickly before I knew it I was finished.



Once I finished my coloured rounds I put the poncho away for a few days while I debated how I was going to finish it. I didn't want any tassels, so I was deciding whether to use the Attic 24 pattern or something more plain looking. You probably can't see, but in the end I decided to use Lucy's edging for this poncho.


Poncho Facts

Pattern: Cowl Neck Poncho by Simone Francis published in "Simply Crochet Issue 25"
Can be bought on Ravelry here.

Yarn: Drops Nepal (65%Wool, 35% Alpaca)

Colours: 7120 light grey/green; 6220 medium blue; 1477 pistachio; 4311 grey/purple;
8783 forget-me-not; 4434 purple mix; 2920 orange mix; 6314 denim blue; 6273 cerise;
6790 royal blue; 3608 deep red.


Hook Size 7mm for the cowl neck / 6mm for the main body

Colour Pattern Light grey/green for the cowl.
Main body: 1 round each of
Medium Blue, Pistachio, Grey/Purple, Forget Me Not, Purple Mix
Light grey/green
Orange Mix, Denim Blue, Cerise, Royal Blue , Deep Red
Light grey/green
Deep Red, Royal Blue, Cerise, Denim Blue, Orange Mix
Light grey/green
Purple Mix, Forget Me Not, Grep/Purple, Pistachio, Medium Blue
Light grey/green x4


To be honest I wasn't sure what I was going to do about mycolour order, whether to choose them randomly or have some sort of structure to my choices. In the end, though, my need for order won out. I split the yarn into two groups; colours on one side purple/blues on the other. As you can see one blue found it's way over to the colour pile, this was purely to make things even, all I did was pick the brightest, most colourful blue.




Because I didn't want all of the bright colours together and to be honest I was very hesitant about using the cerise (pink), I alternated between purple/blue and colour, starting from lightest to darkest.


Edging I used the Attic 24 pattern, which you can find here.


I was a bit unsure of this edging, but once I blocked it, it looked great.
I love this poncho, it feels fantastic to wear, so warm and cuddly and soft.

Look what I found in the garden this afternoon. Aren't they gorgeous? And the smell.......Mmmmm!


Have a fantastic week
Haley Xx

Comments

Popular Posts