I love love love love LOVE bottlebrush!


Bottle-brush were one of the first plants that I fell in love with when I came to Australia. I love the mass of fluffy, delicate looking flowers which weigh the branches down. I love the bright pops of colour that they provide to the garden. I love that they attract wildlife in abundance. I love that they are fast growing and don't need to be babied.  And I love the untamed, wild, overgrown feel they bring when left to their own devices.

Last November I planted quite a few of these, in the hopes that they would add colour and form a natural windbreak in my garden. Already they are two meters tall and have almost constantly gifted me with their beautiful displays of colour.



Along with the bottle-brush I also love the gum trees, six years ago I dug up twenty growing wild down the paddocks and planted them in the garden. Today they are thriving and are a constant source of joy. Another favorite are Bougainvillea which I have also planted in the garden and which are thriving. Hibiscus are another plant that I love and I'm having success with in the garden. Agapanthus are another plant that I love but find very difficult to grow here.

The main thing that I love about all of these plants are that they bring masses of colour into the garden, even the gums with their shimmery silver trunks that contrast amazingly with the grass green lawn.

I was very naughty when I went to town and brought home some new addition to the garden.


Mauve Lavender.


More daisy's.


I've never seen this plant before, they call it a "pincushion", but I fell in love with the colour and the beautiful shape and texture of the flower.

Since the weather has started to warm up here, (to be honest we haven't had much of a winter) I somewhat over-optimistically decided to plant some seeds directly into the vegi garden.


My fingers are crossed that I'm not jumping the gun here. I grew the Purple King beans about four years ago and had a great crop which I have never achieved since using the green climbing beans, and I don't even want to mention my repeated failures with the dwarf varieties.



Each year I add a new garden bed and these rocks mark out the edge of this years addition. I plan to fill this area up with colourful shrubs, it's a way for me to add colour, structure and another windbreak to the garden and save me a couple of moves with the sprinkler. I also want it to funnel attention to the archway and herd people in that direction.

Happy gardening.
Xx

Comments

Popular Posts