Crochet Stripy Blanket


Every time I look at this blanket I have a little grin as it brings back memories of going to the seaside in England as a child. Don't the colours remind you of the deck chairs that you could hire on the beach? Can they still be found there today?


I've started pinning future project ideas on a board in the hopes that it will organize all the hectic ideas buzzing around my brain.

The idea for this blanket came from the picture of the coat hanger, in the top left-hand corner. The colours stuck with me from the beginning and I tried to find the closest match as I could using Stylecraft Special DK. The colours I selected were; white, raspberry, clematis, bluebell, violet & citron.


To be honest I was very worried when I added the first row of citron but as the blanket grew I really started to enjoy it. If it wasn't there then that whole 80's deckchair vibe would be missing.


This blanket is made up using rows of trebles. I started with one row of white and then two rows of raspberry, one row of white two rows of clematis etc. I repeated the five colours in sequence six times. 


I wasn't quite sure what to do for the border, so to begin with I made one round of trebles in white. I didn't want anything faffy or flouncy, I wanted a nice solid border to match the overall feel of the blanket. So I searched online for something to grab my interest and in the end I decided on the crab stitch. Basically it's a backward double and has a nice strong, firm texture. I found this you tube video very helpful.


This ended up a great pushchair or lap size blanket. It was really nice to do something where I didn't have to think or count stitches. It almost made itself. And the colours kept me interested, I think when I work with colours that I love my fingers just itch to pick up the hook all the time.

Hope this makes you smile too.

Haley Xx

Comments

Popular Posts