Yarny excitement!

I've had a really productive day today, I've cleaned the oven and grill; cleaned the bathroom; vacuumed, swept and mopped the house; put on and hung out 4 loads of washing; spent a couple of hours in the garden. Then I came inside for a late lunch and the heat hit me! 38 degrees! Where did that come from? No wonder the garden is wilting all around me!


This is one of my favorite views, I love looking up at the sky through tree branches, especially gum trees and especially when there are white fluffy clouds up in the sky.


A friend gave me a piece of her Lilly about 6 months ago and it's just exploded (in a very good way), I look forward to dividing this plant and putting pieces throughout my garden. I just love plants that multiply.


This is a picture from my veggie garden. I planted these sweetcorn and tomato seeds about 5 weeks ago, they're growing well and I'm really excited about my veggie's this year. This past month we've been plagued by grasshoppers, my neighbor lost all of her veggie's to the hungry little beasts but so far I've been very lucky. Hopefully my luck will hold until they decide to leave.


Now this is the real reason for this post. I found this beautiful variegated yarn in town yesterday and at first I walked past it because I'm already in the middle of a project, but as I neared the checkout I back tracked, (much to my husbands disgust) and loaded two balls into my basket.

I've been itching to use variegated yarn for a long time now, but have never found any that I desperately wanted to use, until now! I already had the perfect pattern for this yarn printed out and filed away, just waiting for the perfect yarn.


Here's what I've done so far. It's a "from the middle baby blanket" and you can find the pattern here.
So far I'm finding this a little bit addictive, I love waiting to see which colour will come next and having a colourful piece of work without all the ends and seven balls of yarn lying around. It's very neat, compact and simple and if I'm still enjoying it this much on my final round then I think that I'll be making plenty more of these in the future.


Usually I can be a bit obsessive about things looking neat and even and flat, but I am really enjoying the gentle ripples that the pattern is creating, I just want to jump into the gentle waves and snuggle.

Also on the hook this week has been my hexagon blanket. 


I finished off all of my circles, I ended up with 102, but only need 91 for the pattern, which is good because it means that I can leave out my least favorite.


And this is what I've done so far. The blue and pink circle is my center hexagon so you can see I've done one and a half rounds so far. Only another four and a half to go. I'm finding that the most time consuming part of this blanket is choosing which colour to use next, but it's also enjoyable especially because every block is unique. I'm a little bit worried that I'm going to have a lot of one colour left for the final round but having eleven spare makes me feel better. I'm also using the join as you go method, which I must admit I was a little bit afraid of, but it's working beautifully and it's really great to see the blanket taking shape with each hexagon that I add. I'm pretty sure that I'll be using this technique almost all the time from now on.


My two blankets side by side. I can't pick a favorite, I'm enjoying spending time with them both. Hopefully I'll have a finished blanket to show by next week. If I don't get distracted between now and then.

See you next week 
Xxx
  

Comments

Popular Posts