Plain Square Blanket Secret

In my last post I made a comment that the colours I chose for my blankets last year don't feel right for me and that the blankets don't really fit in my home. What I didn't mention was that I finished my plain square blankets last year and for the last month it has been sitting uneasily on a bed in my spare room.


I put so much time and effort into this blanket that I really wanted to love it. I willed myself to love it but I just couldn't emotionally get there. The blue half I do love but the yellow and pink half are just too, too bright for me and make me very uncomfortable. 

Even before I started the edging I knew that I had a problem with it's brightness which is why I decided to add the dark blue yarn to the border, in the hopes that it would tone down the pink and yellow. I'm not sure it succeeded but I had a wonderful time crocheting the picot edge on the final round. 




This morning before I wrote the previous blog I had planned to put this blanket away for a few months and then come back to it with the intention of pulling it apart and keeping the blue half as a much smaller throw. But I've spent most of today remembering how much joy I took in making this blanket and discovered that I was very reluctant to pull it to pieces. So I pulled it out of the cupboard spread it out and was hit by such a simple solution to my problem. I feel that the colours don't fit in my home, but why does the blanket have to be used in the house. Eagerly I raced outside, spread it out on the lawn and my whole perspective of the blanket changed.



I had spent so much time willing this to be an inside blanket when in fact it was something completely different. Outside the colours aren't overpowering, they are uplifting and I really like the idea that this is very much a pick-nick blanket. It's a blanket to be used, not to look pretty draped across a piece of furniture. When I realized this my heart was light and I found myself really, really liking this blanket. Not loving it - but being content with it. This is where it belongs. 

Xxx

Comments

Popular Posts