Closed Shell Blanket - Part 1

Over the Christmas & New Year period I set my hook down and took some time off from crocheting. I needed time to think about what I wanted to achieve this year.

Last year I started two blankets using Stylecraft Special DK, which you can see below. 



At first I was very eager and enthusiastic and threw my time and energy into these projects, but as the blankets grew in size so too did the unease I felt towards them. I couldn't work out whether it was the colour, pattern or yarn that was causing my discomfort. So I put these projects away for a few weeks and then went back to them with fresh eyes and I had an epiphany, it was the colour pallet which was causing my discomfort, there was too much bright on bright on bright. While I can look at the beautiful brightly coloured blankets that people have made and love them, what I failed to understand was that I love them in their home. And while I love to see splashes of colour in my own home I've discovered that I prefer them in smaller patches, for example a bright washcloth or potholder or cushion. For my blankets I think that I need to use more muted colours. So this year I am planning to put that theory to the test.

Last October I made the four hour trip to the city and paid a visit to Spotlight. While I was there I decided to go through all the yarn and pick out some colours that really sung to me, and this is what I brough home. It's 4 Seasons pure wool in 13 colours, I don't know the colour names of the wool because it is not written on the label -? 


I put these away with the intention of finishing my other two blankets first but now my plans have changed. At the beginning of the week I was debating with myself about what pattern I was going to use to make the blanket. Did I want to make squares or stripes? How was I going to work the cream into the pattern? In the end I settled on three stitches and asked D to choose one, he chose a closed shell stitch and it's working up a treat.


I decided to alternate each colour row with the cream, I thought that it would be a good idea to break the colours up making the overall effect a lot more subtle.


It's also created two blankets in one because each side has a totally different feel to it so I will be able to flip it around to match my mood. I really am quite giddy over this unexpected surprise.



Look at the texture that the closed shell stitch is creating, already I can't wait until winter when I can snuggle up under this. I'd love to declare that this is my pallet and these are my colours but I don't want to get ahead of myself just yet. The fact that I am enjoying working with this yarn without any nagging reservations is pure joy to my heart. I need to follow my instincts more and that is exactly what I'm planning to do for 2015.


Also on my hook is the Drops Paris cotton yarn, after finishing my washcloths I still had yarn left so I decided to try my hand at making a pot holder. I picked my favorite colour combination and yes yes yes I love the finished result.


White, pink and blue, this potholder truly sings to my heart!


I think I've just found what I'm making for Christmas presents this year!

Oh before I go I want to introduce you to the newest members of our family.


These are two week old Guinea Fowl. How cute are they?


These are the baby willy wagtails, D climbed up the ladder to take this photo to send to his mum, they would only be about a week old and can barely fit in the nest! Between the Guinea Fowl in the house and the willy wagtails outside the window we are being serenaded by birdsong from dawn till dusk.

I hope your New Year is full of bird songs and yarn that sings straight to your heart.

Haley xx 

Comments

Popular Posts