Hook Down - Apron On


A couple of days ago S & I were looking through her stash of cookbooks when we came across this very unassuming yellow book. First published in 1968 it was old and well worn, I think it was an op-shop find by her mum. 
So I took this little gem home and devoured it in no time at all. Now I've never made a Christmas Cake or Pudding before, but this year I had decided to make both and was in the process of looking for a great recipe that would work out and taste great. Needless to say the following page pulled me up.


It was exactly what I'd been looking for. So yesterday I made a trip into town to purchase all the ingredients that I'd need, I booked in a day off with the hubby and I soaked my fruit with rum overnight. This morning I woke up at 5 am, put my apron on, boiled the kettle for my morning cup of tea and set to work.


Four hours after entering the oven as a raw batter this little beauty came out.


Six hours after entering the steamer this pudding emerged. I think that they're both looking good for my first attempt. The cake I am sending up to the Boss' as part of their Christmas present, and the pudding is calling to me, I really really want to eat this. I'm thinking about making a few more batches and giving them as gifts this year, I've decided to try and make as many Christmas gifts as possible this year, I just hope that I have left myself enough time.

I must admit that I've really enjoyed getting back in the kitchen, we've had a much welcomed cooler day today which has helped because when temperatures are up to the 40's the kitchen is the least appealing place in the house for me.

I hope you are all getting in to the Christmas spirit, we'll blink and it'll be here in no time at all.

Xx

Comments

Popular Posts