Plain Square Crochet Blanket


I'm very proud to share this photo of my Star Jasmine in flower. It seems to flower for such a short time each year, but as soon as October arrives I know that I don't have long to wait and then bam the flowers appear over night and it becomes the most breathtaking plant in the garden. It's fragrance is divine and has this invisible pull that makes me gravitate towards it time and time again throughout the day.
My love for this creeper is somewhat bittersweet; everyday I stand near it, smell it, touch it and appreciate that it has come to life in my garden but I also inspect it for dying flowers and mourn as the wind plucks them off the plant because I know that I'll have a ten month wait until it flowers next year.


In my crochet world I am thoroughly absorbed with blanket making and have got two on the go right now.
The first is my stripy blanket, which I will admit has been put on the back burner this past month, but here's what it looks like so far.



This is my take on the attic24 granny stripe blanket and when it's finished it should fit nicely on a king-single bed. The blanket uses 17 colours and has 2 rules which I work by. The first it that I must use all 17 colours before starting on the next section; and the second one is that I cannot repeat a clolour combination. The plan is to crochet 6 blocks of the 17 colours and then I will edge the blanket with the following yarns.


The blanket that has been preoccupying most of my non-working time is a plain square blanket, which yes I admit is a simple concept but gee I think it packs a punch. Here is where it's at so far.


I decided to use the Stylecraft Special DK for this blanket. The colours that I am using are

Aster
Cloud Blue
Aspen
Saffron
Fondant
Pomegranate


I addapted a pattern from the book "Crochet" and started by making 14 x 5 round plain squares is each colour.



The squares looked too small so I added another round of colour and then one more round in white. Originally I was going to use cream but at the last moment I changed my mind and white won, I think that it adds a nice crispness to the blanket and allows each square to pop beautifully. I also crocheted another 4 squares of each colour so that the blanket will be big enough to fit on a king-single. And then I blocked the squares, which I have never done before.


I was very pleased with my neat pile of squares stacked ready for me to join.
I thought long and hard about the joining process and decided to use Lucy's crochet technique, found here. This is such a quick, simple and enjoyable method that joining the squares has become the part that I look forward to the most.



This whole piece is turning out just as wonderful as I imagined.
I find myself eagerly picking up the hook and yarn each evening somewhat obsessively, itching to finish this project but  at the same time not wanting this experience to end.


To top off all the yarny goodness I am also on a chocolate overload after eating this yummy choc-orange cake, might I add it's even more delicious drowned drizzled with cream!

I hope you are all having as much fun with the hook and yarn as I am.

Xxx

Comments

Popular Posts