Little Granny Square Crochet Cushion


My little square cushion is finished and I love it to bits. It's the first crochet cushion that I've made and is proudly sitting on my couch, just waiting for me to make a friend for it. 
It's been there for less than 24 hours and already I've told D not to lean on it, sit on it......breath on it! Which I might add did not go down very well at all. Still, I wonder how long I will hover over it like a protective mother with her only child?

I started making these little squares over a year ago now, using the "Springtime Throw" pattern from Nicki Tranch's book "Cute & Easy Crochet" found here.
I love the choice of colours that she used for this piece but decided to use the yarn that I could find locally in town. So I used a combination of "Shepherd" & "Sean Sheep" 8ply 100% wool.

I used seven colours which are as follows;

Pink (Shepherd)
Pale Blue (Shepherd)
Purple (Shepherd)
Strawberry (Shepherd)
Russet (Sean Sheep - Stirling)
Cactus (Sean Sheep - Stirling)
Cream


These are very simple granny squares - 
1st round -  colour
2nd round -  cream
3rd round -  colour


I made 72 squares in total.

To make up the cushion I randomly laid out 6 rows of 6 squares and with the wrong side together joined them using a dc UK (sc US) seam, first vertically and then horizontally. The cushion measures 40x40cm.


Once I had made both sides I joined them, wrong side together, using a dc/sc join. 


I was tempted finish the cushion with a more elaborate edge, but I don't think that it would suit the overall appearance. I feel that the edging is simple, but it works well. 

I plan to make the blanket one day, perhaps I'll squirrel away a few squares each month, I think the blanket uses over 400 squares so in a couple of years I might be ready to join them! But until then I will be happy looking at my cushion every day and I think seeing how gorgeous it is will help motivate me to one day make it's big sister. I also think that it would make a beautiful baby blanket.

Oh, by the way, you can see my granny stripe blanket project behind the cushion, it's coming along very nicely but I still have a very loooong way to go yet. 

Xxx

Comments

Popular Posts