Grey Skies & Bright Crochet

I was woken up this morning by the pitter-patter of drizzle bouncing off the tin roof of our house. With cautious excitement I crept out of bed, peered out of the window and was met by these beautiful overcast skies.


I absolutely love cloudy days. 

It's funny, because when I lived in England, these overcast, cloudy days were a part of everyday life, they didn't stand out for me, I didn't love them, I can't say that I really noticed them at all. The big highlights were our clear blue summer skies which were so rare to see, but which would bring with them great excitement and joy.

One of the things that I fell in love with when I came to Australia was it's vast blinding blue skies. When you're standing in the middle of a paddock and 80% of the colour that your looking at is that striking blue, it feels like the world goes on forever, the atmosphere is completely energizing and uplifting and there's an overwhelming sense of being free.

Now, these cloudy days bring me memories of my first home, they give me a sense of peace and comfort but with a tinge of sadness, because I always find myself thinking about my family and friends and life back in England. They also make me want to snuggle under a blanket with D while watching a good movie.

Like everything in life contrasts are essential. We need the sun to fully appreciate the clouds and the cloudy days to value the sunny ones.

*************

On a more cheery note, I thought that I'd share my latest project.
Here it is!



It's a brightly coloured granny stripped blanket, and is really the first bright project that I'm bringing into my home (It keeps getting sideways looks from D, perhaps a little too bright!)
Until now I have kept the furnishings of our home quite neutral, I think because our kitchen has lime green bench tops and peachy coloured doors that I've been afraid to bring in more colours in case everything ends up clashing.



I shouldn't have been afraid because I LOVE how this is working up!
I think I've mentioned that I find it difficult finding yarn where I live, so I searched high and low on the net and found the wool warehouse (http://www.woolwarehouse.co.uk/) which is fantastic! It has lots of yarn to choose from, everything is reasonably priced, including postage and within 2 weeks of ordering I find an exciting parcel in the mail box. From there I found the Attic24 blog, which has lots of wonderful designs and projects but most of all has taught me not to be afraid of colour.



This is an Attic24 pack and it's the first step of bringing colour into my life! I already have about six future projects in my mind and while I'm thoroughly enjoying spending time with this blanket I also can't wait to begin my next project.

And yes! These photo's were taken in my car. We were tailing cattle out down the road, which is an incredibly boring job, basically we let the cattle feed on the grass and they slowly walk along, usually I take a 4-wheeler bike and can be sitting there for hours. So yesterday I decided to be productive and crochet while I was watching them, I was very happy and content.

Xxx

Comments

Popular Posts