4 simple things

It's been a very busy week, but I have managed to take the time to enjoy some of the simpler things in my life.

1. The first smile of the week was brought to me when a mob of weaners decided to invade my garden.


I don't know why, but just looking at this picture brings a sparkle to my eyes and a grin to my lips, it's an instant cheer-me-up snap.
I will admit that only minutes later they started nibbling on the Rain Lilly's in my garden bed and that smile quickly turned into a frown.


With the help of my little friend (I chuckle to myself at the use of the word help) we started hunting the cattle out of the garden.


But I couldn't stay mad at them for long.

2. The next day I decided to bring some of the outdoors inside.


I filled my $3 bargain jug with a mixture of flowers from my garden which usually stay beautiful and fresh looking for at least a week, this week however D turned on the ceiling fan and the stems of the Gerbera's bent in two from the force. 
I think that having flowers in the house is a pure indulgence, but a one that I can rarely justify paying for, so when I pick them from my own garden they give me so much more pleasure.


3. Pumpkin Scones - Need I say more?

One of my weaknesses. I've recently started making big batches of pumpkin scones and freezing them, so when we're in a rush for smoko all I have to do is pull them out of the freezer, warm them in the microwave inside a tea towel, spread some homemade strawberry jam on top and a generous dollop of sweetened whipped cream - which I whip up while the scones are warming. They're ready to eat in minutes and still taste pretty good.


4. My passion-fruit vine is giving me fruit in abundance. 


Every day it's dropping 4 or 5 fruit on the ground, my freezer has been taken over with them and every time we have visitors I offer them a bucket full.
I'm not going to complain though because there are so many ways of using passion-fruit pulp in cooking. I've found a beautiful peach and passion-fruit jam recipe that I'm looking forward to trying out at some point in the next 12 months, and you can't beat a passion-fruit topping on a pavlova.


"If the simple things in life do not put a smile on your face, then you will never be truly happy."

Have a lovely weekend!
Xxx

Comments

Popular Posts