Winter madness

Sometime in the middle of autumn I decided that I was going to make a scarf for myself for the coming winter, so off I went to town and bought a ball of beautiful, chunk, dusty blue yarn. I'd picked out a pattern months earlier from Nicki Trench's book "Cute & Easy Crochet" but the 40+ degree heat we were experiencing in Queensland over the Summer made me shudder at the thought of making a scarf.

Autumn arrived with a cold snap and yarn actually appeared on the shop shelves in town. I set to work after tea the same night as I bought the yarn (while my husband was watching American Pickers, Pawn Stars, Crocodile Hunters or one of the other multitude of shows where I look at the T.V screen and ask myself WHY?"

Three days later I had lovingly produced this shell scarf, which I just loved.


Enjoying my nights sat in front of the T.V with crochet hook and yarn, I decided that I would make another scarf. 

You can never own too many scarves, right? 

So the next time I went to town I bought up big! One ball of every colour, which came to a grand total of about 10 colours! I decided to try different patterns so that I wouldn't get bored repeating the same thing over and over again.

.........after a couple of months I discovered that you can in fact own too many scarves! 



After the shell scarf I decided that I wanted something quite plain and simple, so I chose a neutral colour for this scarf and a lovely wide ribbed pattern.



I liked the ribbing so much that I made another one.


Then I saw this pattern in "Cute & Easy Crochet" and even though it's not exactly my style, I find it a bit too fussy, I thought that it would make a great challenge for me and I truly enjoyed crocheting this piece.



Last but not least I found this pattern that I absolutely love. It's a quick and simple chain link scarf worked in the round. And truth be told, this is the only scarf out of the lot of them that I actually used. 

So after making all these winter warmers I could count on two hands the amount of truly cold days that we experienced this winter. Although being born and bread in North East England my idea of cold probably differs from most of the other residents of Queensland.

All is not lost, however, because I may have just made early Christmas presents for my family back in the UK. 

Xx


Comments

Popular Posts